Welcome to FindBiometrics’ digest of identity industry news. Here’s what you need to know about the world of digital identity and biometrics today:
Illinois Supreme Court Sticks to Its Guns on BIPA
The Illinois Supreme Court has rejected a petition to rehear the lawsuit that led to its ruling that the state’s Biometric Information Privacy Act (BIPA) is violated each time a biometric scan is made. Various businesses and the Illinois Chamber of Commerce have warned that such an interpretation will lead – and already has led – to astronomical damages. But the Supreme Court insists that damages awarded are discretionary, and can be determined by juries.
1Password Starts Testing Passkeys
The password manager platform 1Password has begun a private beta of passkey-based account access. The trial is restricted to iPhone and Macs for now, and will require participants to set up a new account; but 1Password is hoping to roll out passkey support to all users this year. The closed beta is a little late in arriving, with 1Password having announced in February that it would launch passkey support in the spring.
Socure Teams With MeridianLink
Socure has entered into a partnership with MeridianLink, which offers a digital lending platform for financial institutions. The latter will leverage SocueID+, Socure’s identity verification and fraud detection platform, in its own MeridianLink One solution for banks, credit unions, and financial technology companies. SocureID+ comprises a number of anti-fraud technologies including a selfie-based identity verification tool that uses facial recognition to match an end user to their identity document, as well as a KYC feature that draws from hundreds of data sources to confirm identity data.
Keyo Launches New Hand-Scanning Handheld
New York-based Keyo has announced a new handheld device that is designed to scan hand biometrics. The company is pitching the new Keyo Wave+ for a range of applications including payments and ticketing, access control, and time and attendance tracking. It’s designed to connect to the Keyo Network, a global identity platform enabling authentication with a palm scan after a single, initial registration. After reports first emerged of Amazon’s plans to develop a palm scanning device in 2019, Keyo leapt to proclaim that its technology was compatible with Amazon’s “Hand Wave” technology, though Amazon would proceed to launch its own exclusive network of palm scanning devices.
ID.me Extends Partnership With Sterling
ID.me has extended its partnership with Sterling Check Corp., a background check specialist. The partnership, first established in 2021, allows the companies to jointly offer a comprehensive identity verification and background check service that can operate through both digital and traditional channels, with ID.me offering a remote solution that includes a biometric system to match individuals’ faces against their photo IDs, and Sterling providing in-person identity screening services. They have extended their arrangement through 2028.
Red Link’s ATM Fleet Goes Biometric
Red Link has embraced Diebold Nixdorf’s biometric ATM technology. Red Link is an Argentinian IT services company focused on the financial services and government sectors, and operates one of the country’s largest ATM networks. It has now migrated 90 percent of its ATM fleet to Diebold Nixdorf’s DN Series, which supports fingerprint and facial recognition for account access, and the companies say that Red Link plans to finish transitioning the remaining 10 percent of its network to DN Series by the end of this year. Red Link Senior Product Owner Maximilano Perez Wallace says the partnership has allowed his firm “to become the leading technological partner for banks in Argentina.”
FaceTec Gains Momentum in Q2 Update
FaceTec has delivered a business update, reporting that in the second quarter of 2023, revenues are up 72 percent year-over-year. Usage of its 3D Liveness Check solution, meanwhile, has ramped up, with FaceTec clocking a 139 percent jump year-over-year, compared to a 120 percent surge in the previous quarter. FaceTec CEO Kevin Alan Tussy gestured to a need for sophisticated authentication technologies that is only intensifying amid rapid advancements in artificial intelligence, asserting that it’s “reassuring to see so many organizations prepare to defend themselves in advance of the coming flood of generative AI deepfakes that will make trusting legacy IDV and KYC processes impossible.”
July 19, 2023 – by Alex Perala