Website - http://www.smartmatic.com/
Smartmatic is the world’s leading provider of voting technology and services.
Smartmatic focuses on helping authorities from around the world to run elections with unmatched speed, accuracy and security. Initially founded in the USA in 2000 by a small group of young entrepreneurs and engineers led by Antonio Mugica, Smartmatic has enjoyed explosive growth and commercial success.
With global headquarters now in London, it employs over 600 professionals in more than 15 countries, including Europe (UK, Netherlands), the Americas (USA, Mexico, Barbados, Haiti, Brazil, Panama, Venezuela), and Asia (Philippines, United Arab Emirates and Taiwan).
Smartmatic’s work has been recognized globally for its role in strengthening democracy and fostering fairer societies. To date more than 3.7 billion votes have been cast and counted using Smartmatic technology, in elections on five continents.
- Belgium chose Smartmatic to design and build its new electronic voting platform. A significant part of Belgian voters have used Smartmatic voting machines in two elections in 2012 (local) and 2014 (European parliament).
- Zambia and the United Nations chose Smartmatic to build the country’s biometric voter database in 2010. Over five million voters were registered in hundreds of posts around the country. Based on the success of this first project, Zambia hired Smartmatic to provide technology in order to update its biometric voter register in 2015.
- In 2009, Smartmatic conducted in Bolivia the world’s fastest voter registration project using biometrics. In only 72 days it registered over 5 million people.
- In 2012, 2014 and 2016 Brazil used technology provided by Smartmatic to help transmit election results from the most remote areas of the country.
- Venezuela contracted Smartmatic to design and build a state-of-the-art verifiable electronic voting platform. So far, 14 nationwide elections have been carried out using the platform. In 2012 Smartmatic executed the first world-wide national election with biometric authentication of all voters. Former US President Jimmy Carter praised Smartmatic’s work in Venezuela stating: “Having monitored 92 elections, I can say that Venezuela has the best voting system in the world”
- In 2014 Smartmatic partnered with Cybernetica, the Estonian R&D lab that built the original Internet voting system used in Estonia, to found the Smartmatic-Cybernetica Centre for Excellence for Internet Voting. The technology developed by this partnership was used during the 2016 Presidential Preference Caucus of the Utah Republican Party.
Some facts about Smartmatic:
- Smartmatic is a privately-owned company. Its founders Antonio Mugica and Roger Piñate are deeply involved in the day-to-day management of the company as CEO and COO, respectively.
- Smartmatic is highly oriented towards technology Research and Development. It spends more in R&D than the rest of the voting industry combined. Smartmatic’s largest offices are its R&D labs in Panama, Caracas, and Taipei, amounting to over 50% of our personnel.
- All of Smartmatic electoral projects have been audited and verified by national and international observation missions, and these include the Carter Center, the Organization of American States, observation missions by the European Union and the United Nations Development Program.
- U.S. President Barack Obama has voted in three elections using electronic voting machines designed and manufactured by Smartmatic.